Wang, Joyce C.
Joyce C. Wang is a founding partner of Carlson, Calladine & Peterson LLP and a nationally recognized litigator in the area of insurance coverage and bad faith. For over 25 years, she has represented national and international property and casualty insurers and reinsurers, as well as policyholders in complex commercial property and casualty insurance disputes. She is the head of the firm’s cyber coverage practice and is admitted in California and Hawaii.
Ms. Wang’s experience includes cases arising from catastrophes such as September 11, Hurricane Katrina, and the Honshu Tsunami, as well as large industrial and energy losses, cyber attacks and fraud. She has successfully obtained summary judgment upholding denial of coverage under a CGL policy on the grounds the conduct alleged was not an “accident” under California law. Her effective advocacy and professionalism enable her to successfully resolve many disputes before trial by way of dispositive motions. Through her extensive knowledge of insurance policies, case law, insurance regulations and statutes she has earned a national reputation in the field.
Ms. Wang was instrumental in the 9th Circuit appeal in Northrop Grumman Corp. v. Factory Mutual Insurance Co., resulting in a ruling that the Policy’s Flood exclusion clearly and unambiguously applied to hurricane storm surge. She subsequently obtained summary judgment on the bad faith, misrepresentation and fraud causes of action on the grounds that Factory Mutual’s position was reasonable as a matter of law.
Ms. Wang is a past chair of the Property Insurance Law Committee (ABA) and an active member of the Federation of Defense and Corporate Counsel and the American College of Coverage and Extracontractual Counsel. She is a frequent panelist on insurance and bad faith law both here and abroad. California Lawyer Magazine voted her one of the 25 most influential lawyers in California after she argued before the California Supreme Court on behalf of a class of children affected by lead poisoning. She has been selected as a Northern California Super Lawyer every year since it began in San Francisco in 2004. Ms. Wang was recognized by San Francisco Magazine in 2012 as a Top Woman Attorney in Northern California, and by Fortune Magazine in 2013 as a Woman Leader in the Law.
Ms. Wang is admitted to all California State Courts, the U.S. District Court (Northern, Central and Eastern Districts of California) and the Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals.
Areas of Practice
- Insurance Coverage and Bad Faith
- Property Insurance
- Liability and D&O
- Legal Malpractice
- University of California, Hastings College of the Law, San Francisco, California
- J.D. – 1985
- University of California, Berkeley
- B.A. – 1982
- Insurance Coverage for Cybersecurity Losses, ABA/TIPS Property Insurance Law Committee, April 2016.
- Property Insurance Issues That Arise Out of Extreme Weather Events, FDCC Property Insurance Law Committee, March 2016.
- Preparing a Corporate Client for Deposition, FDCC Deposition Boot Camp, September 2014 and April 2016.
- Bad Faith Issues Unique to Business Interruption Claims, ABA/TIPS Property Insurance Law Committee, April 2012
- How to Try a Suit in the Court of Public Opinion After a Catastrophe, ABA/TIPS Property Insurance Law Committee, April 2011
- Contract Interpretation, ABA/TIPS Property Insurance Law Committee, April 2008
- Bad Faith Developments In the West: An Update, ACI Bad Faith Litigation Conference, November 2007
- The Waning Wisdom of Appraisal? Let’s Talk: Three Regional Perspectives (with Janet L. Brown and Rick L. Hammond), Critical Issues for Senior Insurance Executives and In-house Counsel Jointly Sponsored by PLRB; LIRB & FDCC.
- Northrop Grumman Corp. v. Factory Mutual Ins. Co., 563 F.3d 777 (9th Cir. 2009)
- North American Health Care, Inc. v. Affiliated FM Ins. Co., 2009 WL 691559
- Polo Towers Master Owners Ass’n, Inc. v. Factory Mut. Ins. Co., 185 Fed.Appx. 636 (9th Cir. 2006)
- Acme Galvanizing Co. v. Fireman’s Fund Ins. Co., 221 Cal.App.3d 170 (1990)
- Prudential –LMI Com. Ins. v. Superior Court, 51 Cal.3d 674 (1990)
Honors and Awards
- Fortune Magazine “Woman Leader in the Law,” 2013
- San Francisco Magazine Top Woman Attorney in Northern California, 2012
- Northern California Super Lawyer, 2004 – present
- California Lawyer Magazine “Legal Eagle,” 1996
- AV rated by Martindale-Hubbell